Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Hex Hall

I'm one of those people who believes things happen for a reason.  Whether it's a major event or some minor everyday task, I think it all happens for a reason.

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins had been sitting in my bookcase for months.  I would pick it up, flip to the first page, close the book, and put it back on my shelf.  I just had this feeling like the time wasn't right.

Last month, I finally picked it up and read it.  I was immediately sucked in and found myself flying through the book.  For those of you not familiar with Hex Hall, here's a little synopsis from Goodreads:

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.



By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.


As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

My Thoughts:  Let me start by saying I really liked this book.  The story was interesting.  I didn't find any parts of the plot to be slow or boring, which is great.  There are some books that have slow parts, and it becomes difficult to finish them.  This plot seemed to always be moving along.

I really liked Sophie.  I felt I could easily relate to her.  She was lonely, felt like an outcast, didn't have the greatest opinion about herself, and would rather do what makes her happy than do what the "in" crowd wants.  This sounds just like me.  There was a specific part in the book where Sophie mentioned using magic to try to straighten her hair because it was so out of control.  That sounds like something I would do if I were a witch. 

If you take away the paranormal aspect of the story, I think Sophie sounds like many teenagers.  I also think she'd be a great role model.  She speaks her mind, stands up for her friends, and doesn't give in to the pressures of others for the sake of fitting in. 

So as I mentioned earlier, I feel things happen for a reason.  What does that have to do with Hex Hall?  Well, I kept picking up and putting down this book.  Here's my thoughts on why I did that.  It turns out the sequel to Hex Hall, Demonglass, doesn't come out until March 2011 (I think).  Since I liked Hex Hall so much, I'm itching to read Demonglass and find out what happens next.  If I had read Hex Hall months ago, I would've had that much longer to wait for Demonglass.  Since I waited longer, I now don't have quite as long to wait for its release.  That might sound silly, but oh well.  :-)

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment