Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Betrayal of Maggie Blair


Title: The Betrayal of Maggie Blair
Author: Elizabeth Laird
Release: April 18, 2011
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Age Group: YA
Pages: 435
Overall: 2/5
Source: NetGalley

From Goodreads:  In seventeenth-century Scotland, saying the wrong thing can lead to banishment—or worse. Accused of being a witch, sixteen-year-old Maggie Blair is sentenced to be hanged. She escapes, but instead of finding shelter with her principled, patriotic uncle, she brings disaster to his door.


Betrayed by one of her own accusers, Maggie must try to save her uncle and his family from the king’s men, even if she has to risk her own life in the process.

My Thoughts:  I’ll be honest.  I had some trouble getting through this book.  Maybe I interpreted the summary wrong, but I expected the book to focus more on Maggie being accused of witchcraft.  I didn’t expect it to make up a short portion in the beginning.  I found the story to be slow.  Once I realized the book wasn’t what I had expected, I contemplated not finishing it.  It just wasn’t keeping my attention.  I wouldn’t say this is a bad book.  I have seen very good reviews by others.  It just wasn’t my kind of book.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for an honest review. I've got this one sitting around waiting for me to get to it, I'll have to try and see what I think.

    ReplyDelete