Friday, August 5, 2011

Mini-Reviews

There have been several books that I've read in the last few months but haven't posted about.  In order to save time, I've decided to do some mini-reviews to re-cap and share what I've read.

The Hunger Games Series (1-3) by Suzanne Collins

I LOVED this series!  I had heard so much about these three books and kept telling myself I'd read them eventually.  My dad bought me all three books this past Christmas, and they sat in my bookcase for months.  I finally decided to read them.  The ladies from my online book club were beginning to talk about the upcoming Hunger Games movie, and I really wanted to know what all the excitement was about.  I flew through the three books.  The premise of the story was unique and interesting.  It could have been pregnancy hormones, but I was completely wrapped up in the love triangle between Katniss, Peeta, and Gale.  I was totally Team Peeta.  Call me a sap, but the whole secret love he'd felt for Katniss since they were young just made me feel all warm and gooey inside.  I was really sad when the series ended, and I'm anxiously waiting for the movie.

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

After reading Shiver and Linger, I was eager to read Forever and find out what would happen between Sam and Grace.  I like Maggie's writing style and loved the story of Sam and Grace.  Again, maybe pregnancy hormones are getting the best of me.  I felt the ending left quite a few unanswered questions, but for this particular story that was okay with me. 

Outbreak by Robin Cook

This isn't a book that I would typically choose, but I received it in a box of used books that a relative gave to me.  I found it to be an intense murder mystery, and the fact that there was a mysterious epidemic happening just added to my intrigue.  This book was short and quick to read, which was nice.  I read it early in my pregnancy when I was tired all of the time and had trouble finishing books.  Being able to find something that held my interest and didn't take too long to read gave me a little boost.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

This book was chosen as a monthly read for my online book club.  I thought it sounded interesting, and it wasn't a paranormal YA like I'd been starting and not finishing.  I picked it up from my library and ended up having to renew my library card, which led me to getting a super cute new library card and keychain tag with a cute little bookworm pictured on it.  Still Alice is the story of a psychology professor at Harvard who learns she has early onset Alzheimer's.  I don't know much about Alzheimer's, but I've always heard about how difficult it is for the loved ones of Alzheimer's patients to deal with the progressive memory loss.  I've tried and failed to imagine what it would be like to have my grandparents or dad forget everything about me.  Still Alice, though, shares the perspective of an Alzheimer's patient.  This was all new to me.  It was difficult to read about the pieces of Alice that faded over time, but it was definitely an eye-opener.

No comments:

Post a Comment