Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My baby bookworm is here!

My little baby bookworm is finally here!  I had my little girl, Hailey Madison, on Thursday, September 15, 2011.  She's going to be two weeks old tomorrow!  I was due on September 12 but went past my due date (obviously).  My doctor decided to induce me because of high blood pressure.

I have never been more stressed/nervous/excited/scared in my life.  I couldn't wait to welcome my baby girl, but I was terrified that something would go wrong.  My husband was so supportive of me.  I really couldn't have done it without him.

We arrived at the hospital at 5:00 a.m. on September 15.  My nurse started pitocin for induction around 6:30 a.m.  My contractions started to become painful later in the morning around 9:00.  I was given a painkiller in my IV, which KNOCKED.ME.OUT.  I slept for about 3 hours.  When I woke up, my contractions were even more painful, and I was given a second dose of the painkiller.  It didn't work as  well that time, so the nurse suggested getting my epidural.  I had the epidural and was ready to welcome that numbness from the waist down that I'd heard so much about.  Wrong!

My epidural was a big fat fail.  It made my feet tingle, but I felt everything else.  It also seemed to speed labor up.  I was 5 cm dilated when I received the epidural and progressed to 9 cm in about a half hour.  The pain was excruciating!  I cried hysterically, writhed around in pain, and begged everyone to make the pain stop.

When it was finally time to push, I was so ready to be done.  Unfortunately, the painkillers I'd received earlier in the day had made me really tired.  Being really tired is not good when you have to push a human being out of you.  My contractions also started to slow down and come farther apart.  I ended up pushing for two and a half hours before I finally brought my little girl into the world.  I was so exhausted and out of it from the pain that I don't think I fully enjoyed that first moment of having her put on my belly.  When they finally handed her over to me to hold, it was amazing.  She was the cutest thing I had ever seen.  And tiny!  She was a total peanut.  Hailey was born at 6:02 p.m.  She weighed 5 lbs 15 oz and was 20 inches long.  So the big question is..."Where are the pictures?"  What's the point of talking about a baby without sharing pictures?  Here you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment