Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Review: Eve (Eve #1)

Title: Eve (Eve #1)
Author: Anna Carey
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: October 4, 2011
Source: NetGalley
My Rating: 4/5

From Goodreads: The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.


Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

My Thoughts: The synopsis of Eve intrigued me, and the beginning of the book pulled me in. The separation of the genders and the lessons the girls were taught about men reminded me of The Handmaid's Tale. I enjoyed seeing Eve's thoughts grow and morph as she came to realize that less and less of what her teachers taught was true. She went from a submissive follower to a brave rebel. It would be difficult to realize you must question everything you've ever known, especially when you find yourself alone and running for your life.


Eve's relationship with Caleb was kind of predictable. It was like a lot of the YA books I've read recently. One of my favorite pieces of the story was how Eve became close with two young boys, Benny and Silas. She became like a mother to them, which meant a lot considering children who survived the plague were orphaned.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. The writing was easy to follow. Carey did a great job at creating and describing this new world, conveying the emotions of the characters, and showing the growth of the characters. The ending completely surprised me, and I'm eager to read the next book in the series to find out what happens to Eve, Caleb, and Arden.

No comments:

Post a Comment