Friday, May 7, 2010

The Aqua Net Diaries

The Nest Book Club started an event called "Buddy Read" in April.  Nesties signed up to participate and were paired up with someone.  They then chose a book to read and discussed it.  My buddy and I chose to read The Aqua Net Diaries by Jennifer Niven.

It took me awhile to get into the book, but I found that I liked it by the time I finished. 

Cover:  The cover didn't strike me in any particular way.  It was simple, although I do like the outline of the hairspray can.

Characters:  I found Jennifer to be a mature teenager.  She seemed to be able to have fun but still achieve major accomplishments.  She was also focused on what her goals were and what she neede to do to reach them.  Another things I liked about Jennifer was that she seemed to be confident.  She knew who she was and what was right for her.  There was a little part of me who didn't like Jennifer, because she made high school seem so easy.  Further into the book, however, I found myself connecting with her on a more serious note.

Writing:  The writing in the individual chapters seemed to flow.  I found it easy to read and understand.  The order of the chapters was confusing at times.  I felt like she was jumping between grades and ages.  There were some chapters that seemed to end abruptly.  I remember coming to the end of the page and being surprised when I turned it to find the beginning of a new chapter.

Plot:  I've always liked memoirs, especially those written with the chapters telling a different story.  As mentioned previously, I was a little confused with the chapters.  For me, it would have made more sense to start from Freshman year and move through Senior year or to group chapters (School, Friends, Dating, Family).  That's just the way I think, though. 

Overall3/5  It took me some time to get into this book.  The first half was really slow for me, and in some ways, I found the author to be unbelievable.  She just made high school seem too easy.  The last half of the book, however, was almost as if I was finally getting to her inner workings.  It was like finally getting past the superficial crap of high school and realizing the humanity of someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment