Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Last Lecture

I've had Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture sitting pretty on my bookshelf for awhile.  I'm from the Pittsburgh area, so I heard all about Pausch's famous Last Lecture at Carnegie Mellon University.  After hearing the news report on it, I immediately looked up the video online.  Watching the video made me super eager to read the book.  Unfortunately, it took me awhile to get around to it. 
Cover:  I love the cover.  The little ribbon on the front makes me think of a little present.  After reading the book, it was clear that it was a gift.  It's a gift for his children.

Characters:  Randy Pausch was an amazing man.  His courage and strength were so very admirable.  It was wonderful to see him embrace his remaining time.  He had such valuable advice.

Writing:  I liked the writing style of this book.  It was simple and easy to read.  The stories got the point across without too much fluff. 

Plot:  The idea of this book was to leave behind the things Pausch couldn't tell his children as they grew up.  His stories were moving, and I really liked the way he thought of some things.  For example, he felt that complaining was useless.  Instead of complaining, one should just work harder.  I've been trying to incorporate this into my own life.  It makes sense.  Complaining wastes time.

Overall: 4/5  I really liked this book.  It was such a touching piece of work to read.  I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to know I wouldn't be around for my children's future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment