Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Review: Red Heart Tattoo

Title: Red Heart Tattoo
Author: Lurlene McDaniel
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Source: NetGalley
My Rating: ****

From Goodreads: At 7:45 a.m. on the day before Thanksgiving break, a bomb goes off at Edison High. Nine people die instantly. Fifteen are critically injured. Twenty-two suffer less severe injuries. And one is blinded. Those who survive, struggle to cope with the loss and destruction. All must find new meaning for their lives as a result of something they may never understand.


My Thoughts: I really liked this book. In fact, I read it in about a day. It was one of those books that sucks you in. The story is told from the perspectives of different students, including victims and the bombers.

One thing I appreciate about the book was that the author didn't focus too much on the bombers or the actual bombing itself. Most of the story centered around the victims and their journey after the bombing. There was a bit of a love story within the story, but I was pleased to see that it was more realistic than many of the other books I've read lately.

In general, Red Heart Tattoo was different than most of the YA books I've read lately. It was a nice change in pace to not read something paranormal or mushy. This book tackled real things like death, loss, grief, fear, recovery, and hope. I would definitely recommend this book to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment