Tuesday, August 5, 2014

READ ALL THE BOOKS!

Source: Google Images
This picture sums me up pretty well. I frequently think that I want to READ ALL THE BOOKS. I even get a little bit of anxiety when I think of all the books I want to read and try to pick my next one.

Reading has always been, not just a hobby, but an outlet for me. Worried about something? Pick up a book and distract yourself. Sad? Pick up a book and laugh at some ridiculous short stories. As I grew up and tackled college classes, became a working woman, and started a family, reading took a backseat to everything else. I would try to fit it in as much as possible, but then I would feel guilty for not focusing on other "more important" things.

At the end of June 2014, I left my full-time job as a therapist in a therapeutic foster care program to become a stay-at-home mom. I was thrilled to be able to spend more time with my two little girls and my husband. The idea of being able to focus on my family made me so happy. My job had a crazy schedule that had me working 50-55 hours a week. I was often gone until 8:00 or 9:00 at night and getting called in when I was supposed to be with my family. It seemed as if I spent more time parenting other people's children than I did my own. It was a scary decision to make, but I've been home with my kids for a little over a month now, and I love it.

Sure, there are days (like today) that they make me crazy and challenge me. But there are also the moments when my toddler says, "Mommy? I love you." out of the blue. Or when the baby grabs her toes and blows raspberries. Now, more than ever, I find myself retreating to my books for an escape. Even if it's just reading on my Kindle app while feeding the baby, I've found myself going through book after book now. And I've found some really awesome books!

Recently, I've connected with some cool authors on Twitter and Facebook and started talking with other people about the books I've loved and hated. And then it hit me. What better way to talk about the books that I'm reading than getting back to my blog? Nothing fancy here, just talking about what I'm loving, hating, or dying to read. I've read lots of books recently, so I'll be starting out with a nice chunk of reviews to share.

FYI, I can have pretty random tastes in books. I've been on an NA kick lately, but I also love murder mysteries, contemporary YA, and some paranormal stuff. If a book sounds good, I'll read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment