Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Lovely Bones



After I finished Breaking Dawn, I started reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I wanted to see the movie but wanted to read the book first. A few years ago, I read Lucky by Alice Sebold and really enjoyed it. I had seen several posts on my online book club about how people felt about this book. There were also some thoughts on how people felt about seeing the movie.

I had a general idea of what the book was about. I knew it was about a girl who was murdered and looks down on her family and friends from Heaven. The book, in my opinion, was much more than that, though.

I liked that the author didn't focus too much on what exactly happened to the girl. That puts too much attention on the murderer. To me, the story really seemed to be about the love between a child and parent and how that love can be tested. Sebold's writing helped me to feel the pain of the father when he learned his little girl was dead. I could understand the yearning Susie had to be able to reach out to her family again.

Lovely Bones was an extremely touching book that made me look at things differently. At first, I was disappointed with the ending. Then I decided that the obvious "happily ever after" ending isn't always the most suitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment