Saturday, April 17, 2010

Book Therapy

I'm currently working on my Master's in Professional Counseling, and part of the process of becoming a licensed professional counselor (in PA anyways) is passing the National Counselor's Exam (NCE).  This exam covers information that you would have learned throughout your education in a graduate program.  The exam is made up of 200 questions that cover information from 8 different areas.  Only 160 questions count, though.  The other 40 are considered "test" questions to possibly use in other editions of the exam. 

Today was the big day.  I've been studying hardcore for the last month.  If I were a good student, I would've been studying hardcore for the last several months, but I'm a little too busy to be a good student. ;-)  I went to the test site, took the test, and then cried on my way home.  I'm pretty sure I failed.  This test was TERRIBLE!  It was like trying to decypher some dead language. 

When I got home, I tried eating my feelings to make myself feel better.  Two crunchy tacos and two soft tacos from Taco Bell.  A brownie.  Chips and dip.  Leftover Easter candy.  Another brownie.  Contemplated baking cupcakes.  Another brownie.  This didn't work. 

My next unhealthy coping skill: spending money on books.  I'm definitely a hypocrite, because I'm always telling my fiance to watch his spending.  I lecture him for spending money on unnecessary things, but then I go out and buy books.  A new bookstore moved into my local mall replacing Borders.  I decided to go check it out and left with some good deals.  I got 2 paperbacks and an audiobook for $25.18.

 Conversations with the Devil by Jeff Rovin $3.98









Columbine by Dave Cullen $15.99









Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs $6.98








I'm excited to have a new audiobook to listen to.  It'll be great for my drive to classes this week.  My fiance probably won't be thrilled that I bought new books, especially considering all of the books I own but haven't read.  Oh well.  My book therapy helped me feel better.  That's all that matters. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment