Thursday, April 8, 2010

Bright Lights, Big Ass

After what seemed like forever, I finally finished Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster.  The length of time it took me to read this book does not reflect my feelings about it.  It usually takes longer to finish books we don't quite like, but that's not the case with this one.  I LOVED this book!  Unfortunately, life has been quite crazy for me lately, which has left me with little reading time.  So...here's a little preview of the book from Goodreads:

Jen Lancaster hates to burst your happy little bubble, but life in the big city isn't all it's cracked up to be. Contrary to what you see on TV and in the movies, most urbanites aren't party-hopping in slinky dresses and strappy stilettos. But lucky for us, Lancaster knows how to make the life of the lower crust mercilessly funny and infinitely entertaining.


Whether she's reporting rude neighbors to Homeland Security, harboring a crush on her grocery store clerk, or fighting-and losing-the Battle of the Stairmaster- Lancaster explores how silly, strange, and not-so-fabulous real city living can be. And if anyone doesn't like it, they can kiss her big, fat, pink, puffy down parka.


Reading about Lancaster's whacky adventures was like talking to friends.  I enjoyed her honest writing and foul language, because let's be honest.  Who doesn't like (even if it's secretly) when a chick drops the F-bomb?

My favorite part of the book (SPOILERS AHEAD) was when Jen's husband was away on business.  I could totally relate to being scared of being home alone at night, eating ridiculous foods for dinner (I've recently been eating Robin Eggs for dinner at least once a week), and not being able to function like a responsible adult when the hubby's gone.  Best part: she slept with a machete under her pillow! 

I read that part of the book one night while my fiance was at work.  I welcomed him home with, "Can I get a machete?"  I explained I could use it for protection while he's gone like Jen did in the book.  His response was, "No.  You'll hurt yourself before anyone ever breaks into this house."  He's probably right.  I'm sure there's also a good chance that I would be roused from a deep sleep when he returns home from work in the middle of the night and attack him with my trusty machete.  I may surprise him and get one, though.  My pap has 2 from Honduras. ;-)

So for those of you who haven't read this book...go get it!  I'm going to be picking up the rest of Jen Lancaster's books!

No comments:

Post a Comment