Friday, August 27, 2010

Deja Dead

I've been wanting to read the Temperance Brennan series by Kathy Reichs since I read a blog post about it a few months ago (Sorry, I can't remember which blog!).  I'm a huge fan of the show, Bones, and figured the books would be pretty good, too.  I definitely didn't expect the show and books to be identical, but I was thinking the character of Tempe Brennan would be the same.  Wrong.  Anywho, I still really liked the first book, Deja Dead.

Cover:  The cover is neat.  Once I started getting into the story, I began to understand the meaning behind the map and pins.  Read the book to find out! ;-)

Characters:  In the books, Tempe is a middle aged anthropologist living and working in Canada.  She's divorced and has a daughter in college.  Tempe is good at what she does and works with local law enforcement to solve cases.  She is determined, intelligent, and resourceful.  What makes her great at her job is her ability to think outside the box and come at a problem from different angles.  She works closely with a few police officers, Ryan and Claudel.  Ryan is kind to tempe and supports her ideas.  I think she might have a little crush on him, too.  Claudel, on the other hand, is a jerk.  He dismisses Tempe like she's some kind of dummy.

Writing:  Reichs uses a lot of scientific and medical terminology.  At times, I thought she used it too much.  I would get confused in some parts and have to just skim until I could find a part that I understood again.  I thought Reichs did a good job at knowing where to end a chapter.  Most of her chapters ended and left me wanting to know what was coming. 

Plot:  I really liked the plot of this story.  The concept was that Tempe found some human remains, which led her to believe that there was a serial killer on the loose.  She then fights to convince local law enforcement that she is right and get them on board to find this guy.  There are quite a few twists and turns.  Just when I thought the bad guy had been caught, BAM!  Something else happened.

Overall: 4/5  I really liked this book.  The beginning was a little slow for me, but the story eventually picked up and caught my interest.  I'm definitely going to read more books in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment