Sunday, August 29, 2010

Shadow Bound

I was browsing the free books on my Nook one day and found Shadow Bound by Erin Kellison.  I thought I had seen it mentioned on a blog or someone's Twitter feed and decided to try it out.  It's the first book in Kellison's Shadow series.  I love reading books that make up a series, and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.

Cover:  The cover didn't do much for me.  That's okay, though, because since it was an ebook I hardly ever saw the cover.

Characters:  Talia knows she is unique and different.  She doesn't necessarily know what she is, but she knows she's not entirely human.  She's smart and dedicated but has come to accept that her uniqueness will keep her from ever getting close to anyone.  Adam has devoted his life to stopping the wraiths.  He knows a war is on the horizon, and he has taken it upon himself to fight it.  He has his own personal demons to fight and finds an ally in Talia. 

I really enjoyed these characters.  I felt the author gave them depth and personality but also showed personal growth in them throughout the book.

Writing:  I liked the way the author wrote the book.  I didn't find it too confusing.  The POV alternated between Adam's and Talia's.  I've said numerous times that I enjoy when POV alternates, and I'll say it again.  I really like hearing from two different people and seeing how they are perceiving a certain situation.

Plot:  I enjoy reading paranormal books, but sometimes the plot just gets repeated.  This plot was different.  New types of paranormal beings were introduced, which was refreshing.  There was suspense, action, and sexual tension, which in my opinion, make a good book.

Overall: 4/5  I really liked this book.  I had trouble putting it down and found myself wanting to read just one more chapter.  I've been on a roll lately.  The last few books I've read have given me this feeling.  I'm excited to read the next book in this series to find out what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment