Thursday, August 5, 2010

Linger

When I downloaded Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater to my Nook, I downloaded its sequel, Linger. I figured if I loved Shiver I would probably want to start Linger right away. That's exactly what I did. Now, I liked Shiver but wasn't exactly head over heels in love with it. I can honestly say, though, that I fell hard for Linger. When I finished it today, I was heartbroken. I need to know what happens next!

From Goodreads:


Their eyes, human eyes in wolf skulls, remind me of water: the clear blue of water reflecting the spring sky, the brown of a brook churning with rainfall, the green of the lake in summer as the algae begins to bloom, the gray of a snow-choked river. It used to be only Sam's yellow eyes that watched me from between the rain-soaked birches, but no, I feel the weight of the entire pack's gaze. The weight of things known, things unsaid.



Sam, who spent most of his life as a werewolf, has undergone an unlikely cure and no longer transitions between fur and skin as the temperature changes from cold to hot. This should be a happy time for Sam and true-love Grace, but just as he begins to trust his new human life, Grace feels her humanity slipping away. Sam's focus is split between worry for Grace and his role as caretaker of the werewolf pack, which for the first time in years includes new members.




Cover: Like the Shiver cover, the Linger cover was so pretty. For me, the greens symbolized the warmth and life of the spring season and when the wolves shed their furry pelts for a less hairy appearance.

Characters: Sam and Grace are still crazy about each other. Sam's insecurities seem to be exposed a bit more in this book. I was surprised at how friendly Isabel and Grace became. Cole was a nice addition to the story. His growth throughout the story was touching.

Writing: Stiefvater does such a nice job of telling the story from the various perspectives. I'm a sucker for this style of writing. I also like how she adds Sam's lyrics and poems that Sam is fond of. Her writing in this story really pulled me in. I found myself hanging on the last word of every page, just waiting for what would come next.

Plot: I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I will say that I enjoyed the way Shiver tied in with Linger. What's the saying? When one door closes, another one opens. That's exactly what happened in this book. Just when you thought Sam and Grace would live happily ever after, something else pops up.

Overall: 5/5 I LOVED this book! I can't wait until the next book in the series is released.

1 comment:

  1. I was just stopping by your blog while doing the blog hop and decided to read a few of your posts. I haven't read Shiver or Linger yet, I do have them downloaded on my Nook (I'm excited to know someone else has a Nook as well, most people I talk to have a Kindle) as well though! After your review I'll definitely have to move them up to the top of my TBR list.

    Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete